Monday, July 10, 2006

Cystic Fibrosis: Good news on the medical front

Dean is a 39-year old with CF. My brother's step-daughter died of CF at a tender age, and I am always on the lookout for news about medical advances in CF treatment. Dean is experimenting with a treatment that appears to be helping him. It consists of two half-hour a day inhalations of salt water. He has gotten good results, but complains of his distaste for the form of the treatment.

Now, I have sleep apnea, and use a CPAP machine to prevent me from snoring, and to allow me to actually sleep rather than toss and turn all night. I'm wondering if it would be possible for a CF patient to have a CPAP machine that, instead of distilled water as a humidifier, would use salt water in the humidifier. The air pressure would not need to be as high, since there is no need to keep the airway forced open, but, it would still deliver the salt water in aerosol form to the lungs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home